Community events and projects boosted with grants
Community festivals and events gained a financial boost at today’s ordinary meeting of council.
Some $50,042 in Regional Arts Development Fund (RAFD) grants were awarded, along with $18,859 in the Green Arts category.
Sarina Beach Coconut Festival, run by the Sarina Beach Progress Association, received $7500 towards the next festival. The event, on Saturday, September 8, will showcase indigenous culture, international kite flyers, music to kites, art and local entertainers.
The Mackay Host Lions Rock-Pop-Mime, on Saturday, July 28, received $6763 towards the much-loved annual event that features high-energy performances by local schools.
The Watershed Land Art Project received almost $10,000 from the Green Arts Category towards the creation of a botanical artwork involving community participation in planting, harvesting and music.
An exhibit of glow-in-the-dark artworks designed to offer comfort to children also received $8380 in funding and will involve free community workshops and artist talks.
Other grants went to:
- Pelican Zen & Zenith Rhythms’ professional recordings - $3420
- Gina Whatuira’s Art History of Mackay Project - $5601
- Slade Point Neighbourhood Watch Community Group’s Water Tower Project - $7500
- Margaret Ross for natural voice training - $3000
- Nicholas McDougall (Greenmount Homestead volunteer) for heritage conservation training in the United Kingdom - $1878
- The Mooney Family Work Group for a Descendants of Alec and Rose Mooney Family Reunion Film - $3000
- Kelly Amanda Lee for a poetry book based on the struggles youth endure - $3000
- Eva Browne-Paterson to illustrate, publish and distribute four children’s books pertaining to local flora and fauna on Keswick Island - $8870
The Regional Arts Development Fund is a partnership between the Queensland Government and council to support local arts and culture in regional Queensland. The Queensland Government is contributing $2.08 million to the 2017-18 RADF partnership across 59 councils state-wide.