Community Grant supports indigenous rugby carnival
A Mackay Indigenous Rugby League Carnival is one of 20 community groups and initiatives to receive funding in the latest round of council’s Community Grants.
The memorial carnival, which received a grant of $5000, is held in memory of Israel Cora, who died in a workplace accident.
The carnival, and associated school workshops, serve to raise awareness of the importance of workplace health and safety.
All up, a total of $86,836 was awarded at today’s ordinary meeting of council.
Receiving grants for the maximum amount were Mackay Community Visitors, which received a grant of $10,000 to replace their transport vehicle, and the Mackay International Women’s Day Committee, which received $10,000 towards next year’s International Women’s Day events.
C&K Eimeo Road Community Kindergarten received $9239 for the establishment of a bush tucker garden and Mackay Swimming Academy received $9000 towards the Great Barrier Reef Swim Meet in late October.
Also receiving grants were:
- Surf Life Saving Queensland - $5000
- Special Children's Christmas Parties (AM Media Consultants) - $1100
- QCWA Sarina Branch - $1000
- Community Accommodation and Support Agency Inc - $899
- QCWA - Nebo/Sarina Range Branch - $1000
- Mackay Filipino-Australian Society Inc. - $2500
- QCWA Pioneer Division - $4822
- Islamic Society of Mackay - $2500
- Mackay Woodturners Inc - $7367
- Mackay Kindergarten & Preschool - $601.54
- Eimeo Surf Life Saving Club Inc - $806.50
- Road Accident Action Group - $5000
- Pioneer Swimming Club Inc - $5000
- Makerspaces Mackay Inc. - $1000
- Walkerston Cricket Club - $5000