Last chance to apply for immediate cyclone financial relief

More than 70,000 people severely affected by Tropical Cyclone Debbie have benefited from Immediate Hardship Assistance and essential services grants in North Queensland.

Member for Mirani, Jim Pearce, said the Queensland Government had already provided more than $12 million in grants for residents in Whitsunday, Mackay and Isaac local government areas and demand was now easing for these payments.

“We will shortly transition to the next phase of our community recovery operations in these areas,” he said.

“We are seeing many affected individuals and families starting to get back on their feet, and demand for the Immediate Hardship Assistance grants has significantly decreased.”

The Immediate Hardship Assistance grants of up to $180 per person, to a maximum of $900 for a family of five or more, will close in Isaac, Mackay and Whitsunday local government areas on Sunday 23 April 2017 at the close of business. The essential services grants for loss of power also close that day.

Member for Mackay, Julieanne Gilbert said affected residents could continue to call the Queensland Government’s Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 for assistance.

“We know that many areas face a long recovery from this disaster and we will continue to support local communities as we move into a medium to longer-term recovery phase,” he said.

“The Essential Household Contents Grants, Structural Assistance Grants and Essential Services Safety Reconnection Scheme Grants remain available for individuals and families affected by this widespread disaster.”

People who are experiencing personal hardship due to TC Debbie should download and use the Self-recovery app, go to www.qld.gov.au/communityrecovery or contact the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 or for further information.

Contact: Mackay Regional Council

Phone: 1300 MACKAY (622 529)

Published: 21 Apr 2017