What is the Facade Improvement Scheme
Mackay Regional Council, has developed the Facade Improvement Scheme to work in partnership with City Centre property owners facilitating and supporting the revitalisation of city centre properties. This Scheme provides funding for works to improve building facades in the City Centre.
How does the funding work?
It is a requirement of the Facade Improvement Scheme Guidelines that Council’s contribution is to be matched by the applicant up to a maximum amount as determined below:
- Works under $1,999.99 (excluding GST) - maximum rebate of 50% of the project spend (excluding GST) per applicant.
- For works up to $10,000 – maximum rebate of $2,000 (excluding GST) per applicant.
- $10,001 and for works over – maximum rebate of $3,000 (excluding GST) per applicant.
The applicant may wish to, of their own accord, contribute additional funds beyond the matched contribution.
Who is eligible for the grant?
The scheme will accept applications from business owners of commercial premises with active frontages located within the city centre boundary, from Caneland Central to the River Street boat ramp; and between Alfred and River Streets (see map below) Buildings which have received funding from previous Facade Improvement rounds, are not eligible for further funding.
What are the requirements of the Scheme?
- Improvements proposed must be visible to the Facade of the building and from the street;
- Applicants must be or have the building owner's consent;
- The applicant must provide their matched contribution in cash;
- The applicant must show how the project will benefit city's presentation;
- Applicants must file an improvement plan detailing the planned improvements;
- Applicants must submit before photos of the proposed building with completed application;
- Applicants must submit two formal quotes from licensed contractors;
- Heritage Listed Buildings will require planning approval through Council; and
- All work being carried out must have the required permits and approvals through Council.
Benefits of the Facade Improvement Scheme for our city include:* Increase in property value & tenancy;
* A more attractive and welcoming City Centre;
* Increase in foot traffic
* Increase in civic pride
* Increase in comfort and public safety
* Promote and encourage activation of facades
Facade Improvement Scheme Application Kit
For more information on the Facade Improvement Scheme:
Contact the Economic Development team on 1300 Mackay (622 529) or email firstname.lastname@example.org