Greenmount Homestead (five kilometres west of Walkerston) is one of Mackay's most valued historic attractions.
Greenmount was developed by AA Cook on the cattle run first taken up by Captain John Mackay and was gifted to the city by the Cook Family in 1984.
The grounds contain a number of buildings including a 1915 Queenslander homestead, which houses intact a collection of more than 20,000 historical items.
The gardens and grounds played an important role in Cook family life, and feature a formal front garden, fernery and arbour.
Greenmount is open from 9.30am to 12.30pm, Sunday to Friday (closed on Saturdays). Tours are available at other times by appointment.
Location: Greenmount Road, Walkerston
Monday - Friday 9.30am - 12.30pm
Saturday - Closed
Sunday - 9.30am - 12.30pm
Phone: 4959 2250
Download the Greenmount Homestead Self Guided Tour brochure (PDF 1.64MB)
- Adult: $7.00
- Concession Card Holder (Identification required) $5.00
- Child (5-18 years): $3.00
- Child (Under 5 years): No charge
- Adult Groups - Per Person (minimum of 10 people): $6.00
- School Group Tours - Per Person (minimum of 10 people, including adults and children): $3.00
Friends of Greenmount
Friends of Greenmount is a non-profit group that supports and promotes the Greenmount Homestead. Friends of Greenmount commit from 1 day (3hrs) per week to 1 day per month depending on their area of interest and other commitments.
Friends help to:
- Encourage awareness of the history of the Mackay district
- Help with programs and special events that promote Greenmount Homestead
- Take school tour groups through the Homestead and grounds
- Interact with tourists and local visitors to enhance their understanding and enjoyment of this part of our local history
- Assist with the conservation and indexing of the collection
- Participate in all the planning of activities
- Actively involved in the preservation of our Heritage gardens
- Regularly interact with other local museums and history groups in the region
- Have interesting volunteer opportunities Have a broad circle of new friends
If interested in volunteering at Greenmount Homestead complete the online application.
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/greenmounthomestead