When you purchase a property, you become responsible for the building work on the property.
The following inspections are available from council:
- Pool fencing inspection
- Final inspection
Pool fencing inspection
Under the Queensland Government’s new pool safety laws which came into effect on December 1 2010, the Pool Safety Council is responsible for carrying out pool safety inspections and issuing compliance certificates and matters of non-compliance are handled by council.
Pool owners have until 30 November 2015 to comply with the pool safety laws, or earlier if they sell or lease their property before this time.
Key changes under the new laws include:
- all swimming pools need to be registered by 4 May 2011
- pool safety certificates are required by a licensed pool safety officer when selling, buying or leasing a property with a pool
- fencing is required for all portable pools and spas deeper than 300 millimetres
- a phase out of child resistant doors used as pool barriers for existing pools (self-closing and self-latching doors), unless the property is sold or leased first
- the latest prescribed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) sign adopted by the Australian Resuscitation Council needs to be displayed near each pool
To find out more about the new pool safety laws or the new pool safety register contact the Department of Infrastructure and Planning on (07) 3227 8548.
If, at the time of building (for approvals issued prior to July 1998), a final inspection was either not carried out or not 'acceptable', a compliance inspection for a single permit can be requested. The purpose of this type of inspection is to determine whether the structure has been built in accordance with the approved plans. However, if the building was constructed after July 1998, please contact the Private Building Certifier who approved the building's permits and carried out the final inspection.
To request a Final Inspection from council, simply write a letter and pay the prescribed fee. Please include your contact information.
Council will issue a certificate on completion of the inspection.