Council's local laws ensure that (short term) rental accommodation provides a high standard of public health, safety and amenity for the public.

The following is a list of examples of the types of rental accommodation governed by the Local Law mentioned above:

  • Motel
  • Hotel
  • Bed and breakfast
  • Backpackers hostel

The local law does not apply to the following premises:

  • Where accommodation is provided for lease under the Residential Tenancies Act 1994
  • Accommodation for immediate family members in exchange for a board payment
  • Accommodation at premises where professional health or welfare care is provided

Rental accommodation facilities providing food and a swimming pool may also be subject to the following licences:


Complete the relevant application below in the event that a person wishes to operate a new rental accommodation facility:

If an approved rental accommodation facility is sold, a transfer form will need to be completed submitted to council. Once a rental accommodation facility is sold, the new owner and or approval holder is responsible for all outstanding requisitions. To undertake a transfer, please complete the appropriate section of the relevant form listed above.

Council highly recommends prospective purchasers request a Health Requisition Enquiry or Inspection prior to settlement.

For further information regarding (short term) rental accommodation, contact council.