This guide provides the basic step-by-step application processes for potential and current business owners who run an environmentally relevant activity (ERA).
All situations require that the Operators Registration application is complete. For more information refer to the How to apply page.
Starting a new business
- Development approval as per the city's planning scheme to conduct an Environmentally Relevant Activity must be obtained prior to council issuing an operators registration
- Council will process the operators registration application within 10 business days (or 20 days if an applicant suitability report has been requested by council.)
- Council will contact you should additional information be required to process the application
- You must contact council for an inspection to check compliance with development approval conditions
- When approved, council will issue your Operators Registration Certificate allowing you to commence operations
Taking over an existing registered premises
- You may apply for a search through council to confirm that there is a current registration certificate and to ascertain the current level of compliance. This process may require written permission from the vendor. Complete and return a Property Search Application
- If the nature or scale of the business is changing, you may require development approval for a Material Change of Use as per the city's planning scheme before obtaining a Registration Certificate
- Council will process the operators registration application within agreed timeframes. You will be contacted should additional information be required to process your application
- If undertaking alterations to the premises you must contact council for an inspection to check compliance with development approval conditions
- When approved, council will issue the Operators Registration Certificate allowing you to commence operations
Making changes to premises
- You are encouraged to contact council to discuss any changes to your premises
For more information about the application process, contact council.