Market stalls are stalls operated at council approved market sites only.
Permits are not required to operate market stalls that sell the below packaged products to the general public:
- Whole fruit
- Whole vegetables
However, the manufacture and packaging of the above products for sale must be undertaken at a location that does hold a food business licence.
- Market stalls can only be set up at council approved sites
- If food is to be prepared or handled at the market site, the appropriate approval must first be obtained. The approvals available for market stalls can be either: a) Temporary food permit – this is for a one time occasion that a person may wish to prepare food for sale from a temporary food premises at a particular market. Further information in this regard can be obtained from accessing Temporary food premises.
b) Market Food Licence – TYPE A – annual licence for a person/commercial organisation wishing to prepare, handle and manufacture food for sale for immediate consumption from a temporary food premises at a site at a particular market event on a regular basis. This licence type is site specific, so if a person wishes to undertake this activity at multiple market events, a Market Food Licence – TYPE A is required for each specific market.
c) Market Food Licence – TYPE B - annual licence for a person/commercial organisation wishing to handle unpackaged food sale, (the food has been manufactured elsewhere - such as unpackaged pies produced in a food premises that is licensed elsewhere) from a temporary food premises at a site at a particular market event on a regular basis. This licence type is site specific, so if a person wishes to undertake this activity at multiple market events, a Market Food Licence – TYPE B is required for each specific market. To make an application for either Market Food Licence – TYPE A or TYPE B, please visit the Fixed premises food business section of this website.
- All food must be stored and displayed on benches with suitable ground clearance to protect food from contamination
- All benches must be suitably covered with impervious materials
- Sitting or lying on benches is prohibited
- Smoking is prohibited in, on or at the market stall
- Stall operators must be suitably dressed in clean clothing and maintain clean personal hygiene and habits
- Low risk foods are permitted to be prepared in domestic kitchens, providing the foods are sold only from market stalls
- All food is to be suitably labelled in accordance with Queensland Health’s requirements.
Queensland Health’s Tropical Public Health Unit can be contacted for specific labelling requirements.
The above listed requirements are for the sale of food from market stalls only. If food products prepared in domestic kitchens, are intended to be sold from a domestic residence or to retail outlets, you are required to contact council.