Mackay Regional Council has joined the ‘Choose Tap’ program to increase awareness of the health and environmental benefits of drinking tap water.
More than a billion people worldwide do not have access to safe drinking water – but sometimes in Australia we take our quality tap water for granted.
Why Choose Tap?
- Our tap water is of the highest quality meeting state & national guidelines
- Tap water is far cheaper than bottled water (less than one cent per litre compared to up to $4 per litre)
- Approximately 50% of plastic water bottles end up in landfill as litter
- Plastic is the most common type of marine debris threatening our marine life and our Great Barrier Reef
- Plastic bottles generate thousands of tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions each year.
It doesn’t make sense to buy bottled water!