More Christmas cheer than ever before
The Mackay region is getting into the Christmas spirit more than ever before.
Council received a total of 48 applications for funding for festive celebrations and initiatives.
That’s almost double the previous record number of applications, which was 25.
Mayor Greg Williamson said it was tremendous to see so many groups and organisations planning to celebrate with the community for Christmas.
“I think it’s a great reflection of the fact that our community is bouncing back after a tough year,” Mayor Williamson said.
“We know social distancing isn’t going away, but it’s not going to stop our community celebrating – Christmas is on!”
The Mayor said the assessment team had worked hard to spread the $10,000 Christmas Grants funding pool as far as possible.
“Through grants of between $500 and $750 we have been able to support 14 exciting events from Midge Point in the north to Finch Hatton in the Valley and south to Armstrong Beach,” he said.
“Our goal was to support grass roots events and initiatives that cover most of our large regional footprint and are accessible and open to the community.”
Funding went to:
- Mackay & District Pipe Band’s St Andrews Day Ceilidh at the North Mackay Bowls Club – November 28 from 7pm to 10pm
- Habana & Districts Progress Association’s Habana Community Carols under the Stars at the Habana Community Hub – December 19 from 5pm to 9pm
- The Domestic Violence Resource Service’s Christmas hamper initiative. Hampers will be handed out from 418A Shakespeare Street on December 18 from 9am to 4pm
- Calen & District War Memorial Hall Association’s Calen Community Christmas Party at the Calen District State College – November 28 from 5pm to 9pm
- Midge Point Progress Association’s Community Christmas Party at the Nielsen Parade northern barbecue shelter - date and time to be confirmed
- Mackay Art Society’s Christmas Art and Craft Market at Snow Wright Court, Beaconsfield – November 21 and 22 from 9am to 4pm
- Rotary Club of Pioneer Valley’s Rotary Christmas carols, cent sale and lighting of the Christmas Tree at Railway Park – November 28 from 6pm to 9pm
- Lions Club of Mackay to provide traditional Lions Christmas cakes to residents of four aged care facilities in Mackay (accompanying Christmas cards will be made by local primary schools)
- Bloomsbury Soldiers Memorial Hall Association’s Community Christmas Event at the Bloomsbury Soldiers Memorial Hall – December 12 from 5pm to 9pm
- Mackay Community Garden’s Christmas Garden Party held at the Village Green in the Community Garden – December 12 from 2pm to 5pm
- New Life Christian Church’s Christmas Carols Event at the Northern Beaches State High School – November 28 from 5pm to 9pm
- Finch Hatton Progress Association’s Community Christmas Party on Anzac Parade – December 3 from 4pm to 8pm
- Armstrong Beach Area Progress Association’s Community Lolly Drop and Christmas Party at Llewellyn Hall –December 12 from 4pm to 8pm