Operations suspended at council facilities
Published: 25 Mar 2020
Operations are being suspended at council’s regional libraries, pools and Bluewater
Lagoon to meet the latest social distancing directive relating to gatherings.
The changes follow last night’s directive from the National Cabinet and will come into effect from close of business today.
Operations will also be suspended at Artspace Mackay, although its Foodspace café will
remain open for takeaways for now with social distancing measures in place.
Council already suspended operations at the MECC, the region’s museums and Sarina Sugar Shed last week.
CEO Craig Doyle said council had been making responsible decisions regarding its facilities with the health and wellbeing of customers and staff the priority.
He said last night’s directive from the National Cabinet meant operations now had to be
suspended at many of those facilities.
“We can reassure residents though that no critical services of council will be interrupted. We have robust business continuity plans for those critical services.”
Following is an update on facilities:
- Libraries – All operations, including click and collect, suspended from COB today.
- Bluewater Lagoon – Closed from COB today for winter shutdown.
- Pools – Mackay ARC, Memorial and Pioneer: Operations suspended from COB today.
> Mirani and Sarina: Closed from COB today for winter shutdown.
- Artspace Mackay – Operations suspended from COB today. However, Foodspace café remains open for takeaways for now with social distancing measures in place.
- Customer service centres – Remain open with social distancing measures in place.
- Sarina Youth Centre – Closed from COB today.
- Community halls and public meeting rooms – Closed from COB today.
- Council-owned campgrounds – Closed.
- Waste facilities (including Incredable Tip Shop) – Open with social distancing measures in place.
- Parks – No park bookings will be accepted except for bootcamps or personal training
sessions of less than 10 with social distancing measures of 1.5m in place.
Abandoned vehicle auctions have also been cancelled and the free native plant giveaway has been postponed.