Christmas comes early for community groups
Published: 03 Nov 2021
A bush Christmas at Dows Creek, a community dinner in Eungella, Carols by Candlelight at Sarina Beach and 11 other Christmas events just got a little more festive.
Council approved $10,000 in Christmas Grants this week to be shared between 14 end-of-year events held between Midge Point and Koumala.
Mayor Greg Williamson said the Christmas Grants were a tremendous initiative because they allowed council to support grass-roots celebrations in the farthest reaches of the region and everywhere in between.
“These are fantastic events that welcome anyone with open arms and take on the personality of the localities they are held in,” Mayor Williamson said.
“Midge Point, for example, throw a party and have the Rural Fire Brigade drive Santa around with lollies for the children,” he said
“Koumala puts on a Community Christmas Fair, with ham wheel, raffles, rides, fireworks and carols by the school children – it’s a perfect event for bringing people together.
“And Sarina embraces its beach culture with a Twilight Market and Carols by Candlelight at Sarina Beach.”
Mayor Williamson said council was pleased to see applicants that provided increased community access to festivities.
“With One Voice Choir received a grant to put together a travelling carolling troop that will visit retirement facilities, and that’s tremendous for our seniors who can feel quite isolated at this time of year,” he said.
“The Finch Hatton Progress Association is also going all-out to create a Christmas street display, including solar powered lights and a town Christmas tree for all to enjoy.”
Those receiving grants included:
- Eungella Community Development Association - $750 for a community Christmas dinner to be held at The Eungella Community Hall on November 27 from 6pm to 9pm
- Koumala Progress Association - $750 for a Community Christmas Fair to be held at the Gordon Morrison Sports Grounds on December 4 from 4pm to midnight
- All Abilities Mackay – $625 for a Community Christmas party at the Summer House Mackay, Casey Avenue on December 11 from 4pm to 8pm
- Sarina Surf Lifesaving Club - $750 for the Carols by Candlelight at Sarina Beach on December 18 from 5.30pm to 8.30pm
- Midge Point Progress Association - $750 for a community Christmas party at the northern end of Nielsen Parade on December 18
- Mackay Northern Beaches Neighbourhood Watch - $625 for a Community Christmas Party at Shoal Point Park on December 3 from 5pm to 8pm
- Dows Creek Hall Committee - $750 for a Bush Christmas and Carols event at Dows Creek Community Hall on December 12 from 3pm to 8.30pm
- Calen and District War Memorial Hall Association - $750 for a Community Christmas Party at Calen District State College on December 4 from 6pm to 9pm
- Habana & Districts Progress Association - $750 for Carols Under the Stars at Habana Community Hall on December 18 from 7pm to 9.30pm
- Finch Hatton Progress Association - $750 for a Christmas street display to be created in the first week of December and lit from December 8
- Rotary Club of Pioneer Valley - $750 for the Pioneer Valley Christmas Fair at the Holy Rosary Catholic Parish Hall on November 20 from 4pm to 8pm
- McEwens Beach Progress Assoc and Neighbourhood Watch Group - $500 for “Christmas @ the Beach” and "Light up McEwens” – to be held on the grassed area of Reg Jones Park on November 27 from 5pm to 9pm
- Mackay Baptist Church - $750 for a free Christmas carols event at Mackay Central State School on November 28 from 5pm
- With One Voice - Mackay and Surrounds - $750 to fund a travelling carolling choir
For more information about any of the funded events, follow the groups and associations on Facebook.