Volunteer Expo is the ultimate feel-good morning out
Published: 02 May 2023
From fire fighters to fund raisers, animal carers to actors, riding coaches to chaplains and everything in between – the 2023 Mackay Volunteer Expo will have something for everyone.
The expo will be held this Sunday, May 7, from 9am to noon, at the Big Shed in the Mackay Showgrounds.
Just under 50 volunteer-run organisations have currently registered to attend the event.
Mayor Greg Williamson said there was an opportunity at the Expo for anyone to find something meaningful to do in their spare time.
“There are emergency service groups like the Rural Fire Brigade, Mackay SES, the Red Cross, Crime Stoppers and RACQ CQ Rescue,” Mayor Williamson said.
“If you are an animal lover, then there are groups like Australian Wildlife Rescue, Happy Paws Happy Hearts, Mackay Pet Rescue Incorporated and RSPCA Mackay,” he said.
“Or, if you have more specific interests, there are enjoyable opportunities with NQ’s Rock’n Country Music Festival, Kucom Theatre, the Mackay Tiger Moth Museum, Mackay Riding for the Disabled and even the Incredable Tip Shop.
“A volunteer role is an amazing way to learn new skills, build a resume, make friends, feel good and stay active.”
Entry to the Mackay Volunteer Expo is free. For more information, follow Mackay Volunteers Expo 2023 on Facebook.
Facts about volunteering in Australia
- Almost one-third (29%) of Australians aged 15 and over participated in unpaid voluntary work through an organisation.
- In 2019, volunteers contributed an estimated 596.2 million hours to the community.
- Almost two in five (38%) volunteers had been volunteering for more than 10 years.
- A similar proportion of males and females participated in voluntary work (31% of males and 29% of females).
- People aged 40 - 54 were most likely to have participated in unpaid voluntary work through an organisation (36%).
The 2023 Mackay Volunteer Expo is an initiative of Mackay Regional Council and is proudly supported by Mackay and Whitsunday Life, ABC Tropical North and Seven Mackay.