Volunteers gather to take out the trash
Published: 16 Aug 2022
More than 640 kilograms of rubbish, including tyres, car parts, roof guttering and general rubbish, has been collected along one of Mackay’s waterways.
The clean-up at Shellgrit Creek in East Mackay was the first of nine “Clean Up, The Mackay Region” events being hosted around the region over the next two weeks.
These events are a great opportunity for residents to show their community pride and play a role in keeping our region beautiful.
There were 13 volunteers on hand, including from Pioneer Catchment Landcare, Conservation Volunteers and Reef Catchments, as well as members of the general public.
The event was jointly hosted by Mackay Regional Council and Mackay Airport.
Residents can volunteer to join a “Clean Up, The Mackay Region” event on the following dates:
Saturday, August 20
- Sandfly Creek Reserve, East Gordon Street, East Mackay, 9am – 11am
- Bridge Road, South Mackay, 3pm – 5pm
Sunday, August 21
- Finlayson Point Road, Seaforth, 9am – 11am
- Bluewater Trail, Matsuura Drive, 3pm – 5pm
Saturday, August 27
- Plane Creek revegetation site, Sarina, 9am – 11am
- Grasstree Beach, Sarina, 3pm – 5pm
Sunday, August 28
- Riverside Drive, Cremorne, 8am – 10am
- Hodges Road, Shoal Point, 9am – 11am
By participating, not only will you be helping to keep our region clean, but there are also some great prizes up for grabs. To register to participate visit the Clean Up website.