This guide provides the basic step-by-step application processes for potential and current business owners who run an environmentally relevant activity (ERA).
All situations require that the Operators Registration application is complete.
Starting a new business
- Development approval as per the city's planning scheme to conduct an Environmentally Relevant Activity must be obtained prior to council issuing an operators registration
- Council will process the operators registration application within 10 business days (or 20 days if an applicant suitability report has been requested by council.)
- Council will contact you should additional information be required to process the application
- You must contact council for an inspection to check compliance with development approval conditions
- When approved, council will issue your Operators Registration Certificate allowing you to commence operations
Taking over an existing registered premises
- You may apply for a search through council to confirm that there is a current registration certificate and to ascertain the current level of compliance. This process may require written permission from the vendor. Complete and return a Property Search Application
- If the nature or scale of the business is changing, you may require development approval for a Material Change of Use as per the city's planning scheme before obtaining a Registration Certificate
- Council will process the operators registration application within agreed timeframes. You will be contacted should additional information be required to process your application
- If undertaking alterations to the premises you must contact council for an inspection to check compliance with development approval conditions
- When approved, council will issue the Operators Registration Certificate allowing you to commence operations
Making changes to premises
- You are encouraged to contact council to discuss any changes to your premises
For more information about the application process, contact council.