The festive season is in full swing around our region. For your convenience we have put together a list of council-supported events so that you don’t miss out on attending an event close to you.
Carols in the Gardens
Saturday, December 3, from 5.30pm to 8.30pm
The Meadowlands Amphitheatre in the Botanic Gardens
Carols in the Gardens, hosted by Star 101.9 and Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens, will take place at the Meadowlands Amphitheatre on Saturday, December 3.
This year’s event is a combination of Carols in the City and Christmas in the Gardens.
There will be an amusement area and a variety of food stalls to enjoy. You also have the opportunity to bring chairs or a blanket and enjoy a picnic.
As the event in being held in the Botanic Gardens, this is an alcohol-free event.
For more details visit www.mackayregionalbotanicgardens.com.au
City Heart Christmas
Friday, December 2, from 4pm to 7pm
Mackay City Centre
Celebrate Christmas in the City Centre - eat, drink, shop and be merry! There will be family fun in Fifth Lane with Christmas markets, face painting, live music and roving performers. City centre businesses will also be open for late night shopping with Christmas sales.
There will also be a paint and sip class, Santa and Mrs Claus and a Sensory Circus Tribe workshop. The event will have art exhibitions, Christmas wreath making session, Pole Fit Mackay displays, an F45 Mackay City after work fitness session, great food and drink options and music in the bars and restaurants.
For more details, visit the Mackay City and Waterfront facebook page.
Christmas Grants of up to $750 have been provided to run 11 separate Christmas celebrations across our region.
Grants totalled $7,750 and were offered to not-for-profits hosting events that were open and involved the whole community.
Events supported include:
- Mackay Baptist Church's free community Christmas carols event at Mackay Central State School on Sunday, November 27.
- Finch Hatton Progress Association's community Christmas gathering barbecue including Christmas craft for kids, festive lights, displays and tree on Wednesday, December 7 at Finch Hatton Park from 4pm to 8pm.
- The Neighbourhood Hub will host a Christmas movie night at either the MECC precinct or Jubilee Park grounds on Saturday, December 17 from 6.30pm to 9pm.
- Mackay Riverside Market with live music, Santa Clause visit, Christmas cookie decoration workshop, dress your pet in festive wear, Christmas decorations at the Bluewater Quay on Thursday, December 15 from 3pm to 7pm.
- Eungella Community Development Assoc In will host a Christmas party for members and families at the Eungella Community Hall on Saturday, December 10.
- Habana & Districts Progress Assoc Inc will have Carols under the Stars on Saturday, December 17, starting at 7pm. They will also have Christmas tree decorations and crib set-up on Sunday, November 27, from 7.30am.
- Mackay City Band will conduct a Christmas program performance at a number of community carols and Christmas events including the Rotary Christmas Fair, Habana Carols and retirement village performances.
- Mackay Northern Beaches Neighbourhood Watch will host a Community Christmas Party with barbecue, music (ukelele group) and visit from Santa. To be held at Shoal Point Park on Friday, December 9 at 5.30pm to 7.30pm.
- Calen District War Memorial Hall Association is running a Christmas party with Santa, bar, barbecue, mini cent sale, free face painting and live music at the Calen District State College on Saturday, December 3, from 6pm to 9pm.
- Dows Creek Hall Committee Inc will have a community Christmas fun afternoon with Christmas Carols Under the Stars with local children in the choir. There will also be children and adult games, water slides, barbecue dinner, slushies and popcorn, ice cream and sweets, movie night and a ham wheel. To be held at Dows Creek Hall on Sunday, December 11 from 2pm to 9pm.
- The Mackay Presbyterian Church will run a Christmas event hosted by "Chats & Children" mother's group including Christmas craft stations, a petting zoo, decorations, gazebos, a sausage sizzle and strictly non-alcoholic drinks, followed by a Christmas Concert. To be held at the Sarina Presbyterian Church on Sunday, December 4 from 2pm to 5pm with the concert to run from 5.30pm to 7pm.