Greenmount Homestead (five kilometres west of Walkerston) is one of Mackay's most valued historic attractions.
Built in 1915 by Albert Cook, the former cattle property forms part of the original claim taken up by Captain John Mackay in 1862. Following the death of Albert’s son Tom, the homestead was gifted to the city in 1983 and has operated as a heritage site ever since.
The grounds contain a number of buildings, including a Queenslander style homestead, staff quarters, garage and blacksmith’s workshop, which together house a collection of more than 20,000 artefacts.
The stunning heritage listed gardens and grounds played an important role in Cook family life, and feature a formal front garden, fernery, and arbour.
Find us on Facebook.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday > 9am to 1pm
Last Sunday of each month > 9am to 1pm
Public Holidays > closed
Tours are available at other times by appointment > book here
Phone: 4959 2250
Download the Greenmount Homestead Self Guided Tour brochure (PDF 1.64MB)
Greenmount Road, Walkerston (off the Peak Downs Highway)
- Adult: $7.00
- Concession Card Holder (Identification required): $5.00
- Child (5-18 years): $3.00
- Child (Under 5 years): No charge
- Adult Groups - Per Person (minimum of 10 people): $6.00
- School Group Tours - Per Person (minimum of 10 people, including adults and children): $3.00
Volunteering at Greenmount
Greenmount Homestead operates with the help of a group of dedicated volunteers, under the guidance of museum staff. We offer a wide variety of opportunities for volunteers to engage with history and help care for the site and its collection. Some of the ways our volunteers help out at Greenmount Homestead include:
- Offering guided tours to the public;
- Assisting staff with ongoing conservation projects;
- Caring for our heritage gardens;
- Digitising objects from the Cook family archive;
- Researching the history of Greenmount Homestead.
Our volunteers are provided with training and support from museum staff to learn new skills and broaden their knowledge. We strive to operate to museum best practice standards, and support our volunteers in educating and entertaining our visitors.
We’re always looking for new volunteers to join our Greenmount Homestead team. If you’re interested in learning more about our local heritage and sharing this with others, we encourage you to contact us by registering your interest via Council’s Volunteering at council page.