Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you walk, run, wheel or ride Mackay, active transport can be a great way to get around.
With our flat landscape and beautiful Queensland weather, riding can keep us fit and healthy, save us time and money and reduce our impact on the environment.
A little local knowledge, however, can make the experience much easier and more enjoyable.
Please find below answers to frequently asked questions on cycling in the Mackay region.
Proudly supported by the Queensland Government Bike Riding Encouragement Program Community Grants Scheme.
Where can I go for a good ride?
The Mackay region has some fantastic scenic bicycle paths including the Bluewater Trail, the Gooseponds and the Cross City Link.
Is there somewhere I can shower before work?
If you're thinking about active transport to commute to work and you work in the Mackay City Centre, there are showers located within one of our two bicycle parking facilities at the Memorial Swim Centre or the Bluewater Quay. You can be confident knowing your bike is safe and also have a shower before heading into work.
How I can I fit walking or cycling into my regular schedule?
Did you know cycling can actually be a faster mode of transport than driving a car, especially in congested areas during peak travel times? The table below shows how long it takes the average person to cycle different distances:
Where can I park my bike or scooter safely?
Council provides bike racks throughout the region - check out our Mackay City Centre map for bike rack locations in the city. For added security, why not try one of the secure bicycle parking facilities at the Memorial Swim Centre or the Bluewater Quay.
Memorial Swim Centre and Bluewater Quay secure bicycle parking
Two locations and open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Cycling to work is a great way to get in your daily fitness, whilst saving on fuel and helping the environment.
To make the commute easier, secure bicycle parking facilities have been built in the Mackay City Centre.
These facilities offer secure bicycle parking spaces, lockers to store bicycle helmets, a change of clothes and other personal items plus the opportunity to have a shower.
Secure swipe card access
Bicycle parking space
Memorial Swim Centre
✓ During pool opening hours
Swipe card access
Both facilities can be accessed with an allocated swipe card.
- There are a limited number of cards, available on a first come, first served basis
- Cards are available from council's Client Service Centre on Gordon Street (open Monday-Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm)
- Simply sign up and pay a $50 pro-rata non-refundable fee to receive a swipe card
- Your deposit refund is processed when you return the card, completion may take up to 10 working days.
Free bike racks
There are plenty of free bike racks to utilise in the Mackay City Centre.
How can I build my riding confidence?
Join one of Mackay's social riding groups to build up your fitness and gain confidence riding on the road. You can also plan your route using our "off-road" bicycle paths including the Bluewater Trail, Gooseponds or Cross City Link bicycle pathways, and choose smaller local streets over busier main roads. Maps for these paths can be found here.
Social riding, running and walking groups are a great opportunity to meet new friends while making healthy habits. These groups are free to join and happy to take on new members.
Social riding groups
Saturday Social Rides
Meet at Metro Market Cafe, River Street, Mackay every Saturday from 6am (summer) or 6.30am (winter). Visit their Facebook page for more info.
Team Caffeine This group rides out and back exactly the same way at a reasonable pace – great for your weekly bike excursion. If you’re a new rider and don’t feel up to the full distance, you can turn around at any stage of the ride and head back to the Metro Cafe for coffee.
Tour de Latte
A loop ride, intended to push those that ride regularly.
Picking up the pace a bit, this group of cyclists are always trying to lift their game and perfect their bunch-riding skills.
This is our fastest group for the fitter riders.
- Distance: 40km+
- Speed: 35kph+
Lazy Sunday Riders or Daily Bunch Rides
Details can be found here.
Skills and development sessions targeting youth, held from 4pm. Details can be found here.
Dirt Divas @ MAD BTBC
Female only section of the Mackay And District Mountain Bike Club. A place for women to develop new skills, increase confidence and enjoy social rides in a comfortable environment. Details can be found via here.
Phatboyz Cycle Corp - Mackay Rides
Details can be found here.
Women's Only Ride
Monthly female only social ride. Details can be found here.
Social running groups
- The LRC Running Club, Mackay: Meet at Mantra Mackay, Mulherin Drive the first Saturday of the month and Laffo’s, River Street, Mackay every other Saturday to leave at 5.45am. They also meet Tuesday and Thursday at 5.30am and leave from in front of City Fitness, Victoria Street. Visit their Facebook page or website for more information.
- Mackay Park Run: Mackay Park Run is a weekly free 5km timed run. Held at Mackay Botanic Gardens, Lagoon Street, every Saturday, 7am. Visit the website for more information.
Social walking groups
- Women Who Walk and Men Too: Free weekly walking group, various locations and times in the Mackay region. Visit their Facebook page to register and to find our more.
- Heart Foundation Walking Groups: Free walking groups, multiple locations and times available, visit the Heart Foundation Walking website to find a walk near you.
- East Mackay Happy Walkers: Every Monday and Friday, 6am. Meet at the car park at Town Beach, Binnington Esplanade, Mackay. Dog and pram friendly. Call Pauline on 0418 427 099.
- Life In Motion Exercise Physiology: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 5pm. Meet at LifeInMotion, 33 Brisbane Street, Mackay. Dog friendly. For more information, contact LifeInMotion on 4951 0156 or phone Pauline on 0418 427 099
- Heart Health Walking Group: Every Wednesday, 5pm. Meet at Botanical Gardens at the children's playground, 9 Lagoon Street West. Dog friendly. For more information, contact Erin on 0419 020 169.
- Mall Walking: Free mall walking group every Monday and Friday from 7.30am to 8.30am. Caneland Central (meet at Riverfront Restaurant entry, near Stellarossa). For more information, contact Hayley from MJF Wellness on 0410 111 285.
- Walking Meditation: Meet at The Goose Walk, rear of North Mackay Bowls Club. Sundays 4pm to 4.45pm, recommencing in 2016. Participants are supported to walk at a personal comfortable walking pace. For further information visit www.innerlifeworks.ntpages.com.au
- G&S Engineering Walking Group: Parents with prams. Every Friday, 5pm. Meet at the Botanic Gardens cafe. Contact Gailene on 0401 880 992.
- Mackay Dog Walkers & Social Group: Leaving from the shelter opposite Caneland Central along the Bluewater Trail each Saturday morning at 7am. More details here.
These are paid membership clubs who are always looking new members.
Regular coaching opportunities and mechanical maintenance workshops
- Corry Cycles (shop)
- Mackay Cycles (shop)