Roaming and impounding

Livestock must be confined to the owner's property at all times and are not permitted to roam.

If you see livestock roaming please contact council on 1300 MACKAY (622 529), reporting the location, address, breed and colour (if known).

If the address is unknown, patrols will be carried out to try to locate the livestock.

Wandering livestock

If livestock has wandered onto your property, from a neighbouring owner property, please speak with your neighbour in the first instance to resolve this issue.

If an owner of the livestock cannot be determined secure the animal (if it's safe to do so) and contact council.

If your animal is in the care of council, in most cases, the owner will be charged a fee prior to the release of the animal from the holding yard. If the owner is unable to visit the holding yard and would like someone else to collect the animal on their behalf, a letter of authority or similar authorisation is needed.

Injured livestock

In you encounter injured livestock, please contact the RSPCA or take the animal to a nearby veterinarian.

If the animal is deceased, contact council on 1300 MACKAY (622 529) to arrange collection of the animal.

Missing livestock

If you are missing livestock, check our online livestock animals or contact the council's Local Laws Coordinator on 1300 622 529.