Responsible cat ownership

Two cats are permitted on a 600m² allotment and one cat on less than 600m² or multi-residential premises. A permit is required to keep three or more cats on a 600m² allotment, permits are available through council.


  • register and micro-chip your cat
  • desex your cat
  • regularly worm and vaccinate them
  • always pick up after your cat.

Register your pet with council

Under the Queensland Government's Animal Management Act 2008 all cats over the age of 12 weeks and living in the Mackay region must be registered with Mackay Regional Council.  Cat registration is required each financial year and discounts apply when reminder notices are issued. Registration fees pay for council's Animal Control program (maintaining a pet database, re-uniting lost pets with their owners and Pound operating costs). You can register your pet online or at council's Client Service Centres in Mackay, Sarina and Mirani.

Microchipping your cat

If you buy or are given a cat you must:

  • ensure the animal is microchipped (if over the age of eight weeks)
  • register the animal with your local council
  • make sure your contact details on your pet's microchip is up-to-date

How will I know if my cat is microchipped?A certificate and details of the microchip registry company should be provided to you by the person who sold or gave you the animal.  If you are not given these details contact your local vet or council to ensure your dog is microchipped.

Who can microchip my cat?Your local vet should be able to help you or provide you with details of an authorised implanter.

What will happen if my cat is not microchipped and registered?You may be liable for a $2000 fine.

What must I do if I sell or give away a cat?You must:

  • ensure the animal is microchipped (if over the age of eight weeks) by an authorised implanter
  • provide the buyer with the microchip certificate and details of the licensed microchip registry company

How will I know if the microchip implanter is an authorised implanter?The microchip implanter should have an authorised implanter number issued to them by the Department of Infrastructure and Planning.

What will happen if I sell or give away a cat that is not microchipped?You may be liable for a $2000 fine.

Desexing your pet

Cats are prolific breeders and can have two or more litters per year. If a female cat has 11 kittens that remain undesexed, these offspring could produce 11 million kittens in nine years. Making the choice to desex your pet is an important part of responsible pet ownership. The best time to desex your pet is between four and six months of age.

Desexing your pet:

  • prevents uterine infections
  • eliminates unwanted harassment from the opposite sex
  • tends to make animals less aggressive and territorial and less likely to wander and mark their territory
  • reduces registration fees

What should I do if my cat goes missing?

You should contact council's Pound on 1300 MACKAY (622 529).

If council finds your pet and it has a form of identification, registration tag and/or microchip, you will be contacted by a representative from council's Pound.

If you're still unable to find your animal we suggest you visit the Pet Search website.

All impounded animals will be held in council's Pound for a minimum of 72 hours, after such time animals will either be rehomed or euthanised.

As a pet owner you are responsible for providing an adequate enclosure and adequate care if you are going away.

If your pet is impounded, you will be required to pay a pound release fee, in addition to a registration fee if it is not currently registered.

Commercial cattery licence

Anyone wanting to operate a cattery or breed or sell cats must have a Commercial Cattery Licence. The number of animals permitted to be housed onsite will be determined by council on a case-by-case basis.

Under this licences you must adhere to the following standards:

  • the cattery must have appropriate planning approvals
  • clean and disinfect all enclosures daily
  • all pet food stored in vermin-proof containers
  • keep a record of all animals sold/given away, vaccination certificates, micro-chipping information
  • micro-chip all animals with the new owner's name and address
  • keep vaccinations up to date
  • isolate any animal found to have a transmissible disease
  • dispose of waste properly
  • all animals to be confined to the premises at all times