How Eat Safe Mackay works
Mackay Regional Council, in partnership with key industry representatives, has introduced a regulatory rating scheme called Eat Safe Mackay.
Mackay Regional Council Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) regularly conduct food safety audits of all our local food businesses. Previously there has not been a way to reward those businesses who are committed to improving food safety standards, and the standards of food safety at each food premise has not been publicly available.
As part of Eat Safe Mackay, all licensed food business within the Mackay region will be issued a food safety star rating based on a food safety audit which assesses compliance under the Food Act 2006, Food Safety Standards and good management practices. Food safety audits are mandatory for all licensed food businesses within the Mackay region.
A food business can receive either no star, two, three, four or five stars. Businesses that demonstrate high levels of food safety standards will receive three or more stars and can choose to display their food safety star rating onsite and online. The display of Eat Safe Mackay star ratings is voluntary for food businesses.
Eat Safe Mackay will not introduce any extra costs or regulatory burden on operators who comply with current food safety standards.
Benefits of the scheme
Eat Safe Mackay benefits the community, food businesses and council by:
- Recognition and rewards for food businesses that comply with food safety laws and employ good food safety practices within their businesses
- Businesses that demonstrate very good food safety practices may require less audits by council
- Increase the community’s confidence in Mackay’s food industry by increasing food safety awareness and assist in making informed food and dining choices
- Reducing the regulatory burden by rewarding businesses that demonstrate high levels of food safety and hygiene with the potential for higher performers to receive discounts on annual licence fees.
- Allows Council EHOs to work closer with poor performing businesses and provide support to improve their food safety standards
- Free marketing opportunities for food businesses who agree to display their food safety star rating onsite and on Mackay Regional Council’s free listing online.
- Eat Safe Mackay will not introduce any extra costs or regulatory burden on operators who comply with current food safety standards.
Eat Safe Mackay will contribute to achieving the aspirations and targets in the shared vision for the region. It aims to work together with, and provide both assistance and incentive for, food businesses to achieve and maintain the highest standards in food safety. Eat Safe Mackay will ensure our food industry continues to be among the world’s best in safety standards and public health.