Coasts and Communities
Get involved in coastal management activities at your local beach. Lend a hand planting seedlings, controlling weeds and collecting rubbish on our coast.
The Mackay Coasts and Communities program was initiated to set a vision for the future of the Mackay coast and to engage local communities in coastal management activities. The project provides a strategic and coordinated approach to managing our coasts, developing local management plans to enable all organisations, community groups and local residents to work together to better use and attract resources and achieve the best outcomes for our coastal environments.
The strategic management intent for our coastal zone is outlined in the Mackay Coastal Guidelines (PDF 1.8 MB).
Nineteen beach management plans have been developed in consultation with coastal communities for public coastal land under Mackay Regional Council's jurisdiction. Implementation of priority activities in many of these areas is now underway, including coastal fencing, weed control and revegetation.
View the beach management plans (in North to South order)
- Midge Point Summary (PDF 3.77MB) (adopted 2018)
- Midge Point (PDF 8.37MB) (adopted 2018)
- St Helens Beach - in development
- Seaforth (PDF 4.7 MB) (adopted 2010, revised 2012)
- Haliday Bay (PDF 4.1 MB) (adopted 2010)
- Ball Bay (PDF 4.3 MB) (adopted 2010)
- Shoal Point (PDF 4.0 MB) (adopted 2010)
- Bucasia Beach Summary (PDF 762KB) (adopted 2017)
- Bucasia Beach (PDF 5.9MB) (adopted 2017)
- Eimeo (PDF 3.7 MB) (adopted 2010)
- Blacks Beach Summary (PDF 534 KB) (adopted 2017)
- Blacks Beach (PDF 4.8MB) (adopted 2017)
- Blacks Beach Spit (PDF 1.0 MB) (adopted 2013)
- Slade Point - in development
- Slade Point Reserve - developed in 2008
- Harbour Beach - in development
- Sandfly Creek Environmental Reserve (PDF 4.2MB) (adopted in 2009)
- Town and Far Beach - (PDF 2.3 MB) (adopted 2013)
- McEwens Beach -in development
- Dunrock - in development
- Louisa Creek Beach (PDF 526 KB) (adopted 2007)
- Half tide Beach (PDF 650 KB) (adopted 2007)
- Salonika Beach (PDF 590 KB) (adopted 2007)
- Grasstree Beach Summary (PDF 692KB) (adopted 2017)
- Grasstree Beach (PDF 6.8MB) (adopted 2017)
- Campwin Beach (PDF 503 KB) (adopted 2007)
- Sarina Beach (PDF 598 KB) (adopted 2007)
- Armstrongs Beach (PDF 523 KB) (adopted 2007)
The Mackay Coasts and Communities program is delivered in partnership by Mackay Regional Council and Reef Catchments, supported by the Natural Environment Levy and the Australian Government's Caring for our Country Program.