The Sister City movement commenced shortly after World War II in an effort to promote international understanding and friendship. Today, there are more than 470 Sister City agreements between Australia and cities all over the world.
Mackay has three established sister city relationships:
- Kailua Kona, Hawaii (established on 4 January, 1966)
- Matsuura, Japan (established on 22 July 1989)
- Honiara, Solomon Islands (established on 5 July, 1995)
The purpose of sister city relationships is to:
- Promote mutual friendship and goodwill between citizens of both cities
- Cultivate better understanding and knowledge between both countries
- Contribute to world peace and prosperity
The most active sister city relationship is with Matsuura, Japan.
For more information on sister-city programs, please click here