Council's Local Law No.7 (Rental Accommodation other than Shared Facility Accommodation) 2011 and Subordinate Local Law No. 1.11 (Operation of Shared Facility Accommodation) 2011 ensure that short term rental accommodation provides a high standard of public health, safety and amenity for the public.

Who requires approval?

The following types of rental accommodation is governed by the council’s Local Law and requires approval prior to operation:

  • Motel
  • Hotel
  • Bed and breakfast
  • Backpackers hostel

The local law does not apply to the following arrangements:

  • Where accommodation is provided for lease under the Residential Tenancies Act 1994
  • Accommodation for immediate family members in exchange for a board payment
  • Accommodation at premises where professional health or welfare care is provided

If your short term rental accommodation provides additional facilities, such as food or swimming pools, you may be subject to additional licensing requirements. Please refer to the following webpages: be subject to the following licences:

How to apply

Complete the relevant application to operate a new rental accommodation facility, and lodge with council with the relevant fee and supporting documentation:

If an approved rental accommodation facility is sold, a transfer form will need to be completed submitted to council. Council highly recommends prospective purchasers request a Health Requisition Enquiry or Inspection prior to settlement.

Once a rental accommodation facility is sold, the new owner and or approval holder is responsible for all outstanding requisitions. To undertake a transfer, please complete the appropriate section of the relevant form listed above.

For further information regarding approval and operation of short term rental accommodation, contact council's Health and Regulatory Services team on 1300 MACKAY (622 529) or email