Mackay Regional Council offers work experience placements for students in a dynamic local government environment. Secondary school and tertiary students have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in a diverse range of streams at Council. Work experience helps you make an informed decision about your career and the opportunity to explore potential careers.
Opportunities exist, subject to operational requirements, for specific group work experience activities. These are limited to registered Job Seeker Provider activities, VET group training activities and/or school based VET programs.
To be eligible you must be either:
- a secondary school student who is at least 14 years old
- a student undertaking a Certificate III or above qualification with a registered training organisation
- a university student (if work experience is a mandatory requirement to complete the relevant course)
Students must be registered with a recognised school, tertiary institution or referral agency that covers them for personal insurance and public liability.
To be eligible for group work experience the group must be in one of the following categories:
- Registered Job Seeker Provider activities that are part of the Australian Government programs.
- VET group training activities as part of an accredited training course
- School based VET programs for school students
Group sizes and structures are limited by supervisory and operational requirements. Groups may be required to provide their own supervision in some circumstances.
Work experience duration and timing is dependent on the ability of the work area to provide effective on-the-job experience. In the circumstance where student placement is offered, the individual will negotiate with the work area to confirm a placement work pattern. Group work experience opportunities are limited to a maximum of four weeks subject to operational requirements.
How to apply
You will need to apply at least four weeks before you want to start work experience
- Individual work experience application form – online form
- Group work experience application please email email@example.com with the below details:
> Name of learning institution or job seeker provider
> Contact person name and details
> Timelines for placements
> Work experience area
> Group size and names applying for work experience
The number and timing of work experience students accepted into a work program depends on the capacity of the requested work area to provide an effective on-the-job experience.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org