The Mackay Regional Council Bursary was established in 2011 by Mackay Regional Council, with the aim to encourage the academic progress of students from the Mackay Regional Council area who are studying within skills shortage areas within the region;
- Business (Accounting/Marketing/HR/Public Relations/Social Innovation)
- Information Technology/Digital Media
- Workplace Health and Safety/Emergency Services
- Social Work
- Environmental Science/Health
A total number of five (5) bursaries are available, which aim to provide students with monetary assistance for costs associated with studying, as well as potential work experience within Mackay Regional Council.
The total value of each bursary is $5000.
The amount will be $2500 per year for two years, which will be paid in bi-yearly payments of $1250 following submission of evidence to council's satisfaction of successful completion of studies.
There would be an expectation that successful applicants make themselves available for a period of paid vacation work over the summer holiday period, as well as possible other vacation periods able to be provided by council.
Applications will be invited from students studying engineering, planning, business (accounting/marketing/HR/public relations/social innovation), information technology/digital media, workplace health and safety/emergency services, social work or environmental science/health who are:
- Entering the second last year of a university undergraduate degree course (e.g. entering 3rd year of a 4-year Engineering Degree);
- Studying as a full-time student;
- An Australian citizen/permanent resident;
- Ordinarily a resident from within the Mackay Regional Council area and, preferably, undertaking study at a local campus, (i.e. students from Mackay studying away in another area would be eligible, however students from another local government area studying in Mackay would not be eligible). Applications should be made including evidence that the student ordinarily resides in Mackay such as rates notice of parent’s home address;
- Not receiving any other employer linked bursary;
- Seeking employment in the Mackay Region following completion of university studies;
Mackay Regional Council is an equal opportunity employer and would encourage applications from all people, including those who identify as being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, people with disabilities, and those from non-English speaking backgrounds.
Applications will be considered in accordance with the following selection criteria:
- Meeting eligibility criteria;
- University results to date (certified copies of results to be provided with application);
- Leadership capabilities and/or community or volunteering service (will be based on information contained in the application AND evidentiary documentation provided by the applicant with their application. Mackay Regional Council will make its own judgment about what constitutes the most meritorious cases).
When to apply
Applications must be submitted by the on-time closing date. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview. The interview panel will comprise of Mackay Regional Council staff.
Application closing date: 5pm, Thursday, April 18, 2019
All documentation must be attached at the time of submitting your application.
How to lodge your application
Complete an online application form
Download the application form and address your application to;
Mackay Regional Council Academic Bursary – Recruitment Team
PO BOX 41
Mackay QLD 4740
Download the application form and email your application to: email@example.com