Domestic water carriers

The Food Act 2006 requires water supplied by water tankers for domestic consumption or use, is of high quality free from contamination.

A person cannot operate the business of domestic water distribution unless the person holds a Food Business Licence and the water tanker/s are approved by council.

How to apply

To operate a domestic water carrier business, a Food Business Licence Application (PDF 160 KB) must be lodged with council with the relevant fee and supporting documentation prior to operation.

The following information must be submitted with the application as supporting documentation:

  • Vehicle information (address where the tanker is kept and the registration number)
  • Details of tank construction (material of inner and outer surface, manufacturer name and type of any synthetic liner used in the tank and tank capacity)
  • Source and location of water supply
  • Details of the delivery pump provided

For more information about domestic water carriers, refer to the Food Licensing and Approvals page or contact council's Health and Regulatory Services team on 1300 MACKAY (622 529) or email