Roadside vending

If you wish to operate a commercial activity on a council controlled road you must comply with council's Subordinate Local Law No. 1.2 (Commercial Use of Local Government Controlled Areas and Roads) 2011 and obtain all relevant permits.

These permits may be one of an itinerant or static nature. Quite often these permits are associated with a mobile food business/vehicle.

What is a roadside vendor

  • A vehicle (either mobile or stationary) or temporary stall (e.g. any van, truck, trailer or movable module, tent or gazebo);
  • Selling any article; and
  • Located in an area or on a road controlled by local government

How to apply

If you wish to operate as either an itinerant or static vendor complete the relevant form and pay the nominated fee:

Mobile roadside vending approvals are transferable.  These permits can be transferred by completing the relevant transfer form and sections of the above form and submitting to council with the nominated fee.

Should the operator want to operate from a number of locations, approval must be obtained from council for each site.

For further information, contact council to speak with an Environmental Health Officer on 1300 MACKAY (622 529) or email