Entertainment event permits

COVID Safe Event Requirements

COVID 19 Restrictions apply to all events.

There are currently 3 categories:-

  • Fewer than 500 people – no Queensland Health approval needed when following a COVID Safe Event Checklist.
  • 500 to 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by local Public Health units.
  • Over 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by the Queensland Chief Health Officer.

The  Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events has been developed and sets out key public health principles and event-specific public health strategies that will limit the transmission of COVID-19 at events and help event organisers operate safely and is applicable for all events. The Framework does not alter the existing approval arrangements that apply to events. As an event organiser, you are still required to obtain the relevant approvals/permits from the venue/land owner, local council and/or Queensland Police Service.

If the event requires the approval of either the Chief Health Officer or a Public Health Unit (as indicated in above), the COVID Safe Event Plan should be emailed to COVID19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au.

For further information regarding COVID Safe requirements visit https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/government-actions/covid-safe-businesses

If you are organising an event in the Mackay region you may be required to complete a temporary entertainment event approval.

Do I need an event permit?

You will need a temporary entertainment event permit if you answer YES to one or more of the following:

  • Are you providing entertainment to the public?
  • Will you have more than 200 people attending your event?
  • Will your event have any catering, infrastructure, fireworks, amplified sound?
  • Will your event impact on neighbouring residents or businesses?

Please ensure that you have read, understood and accepted the Temporary Entertainment Event Permit guidelines before proceeding with a permit application.

If you are unsure whether you require a permit, please contact council’s Health and Regulatory Services on 1300 MACKAY (622 529).

Please note: Event attendee numbers may trigger other requirements and services to be provided at your event, such as event traffic management plans and public transport. For more information on these requirements and services please contact Health and Regulatory Services.

How to apply

To gain approval to operate a temporary entertainment event you are required to submit a complete application to council, a minimum of four weeks prior to the date of the event, or twelve weeks prior when road closures are proposed.

Below is a list of the items you must include with your application:

  • Complete Application for Temporary Entertainment Event Approval form.
  • Relevant fee payable. Temporary Entertainment Event Application. Fees and charges are available here.
  • Please note - Separate applications and fees are required for Traffic management plan assessments and lodgement.
  • Site plan, to scale, that includes details of the following:
    • Layout of the event
    • Buildings at the site (including toilet facilities)
    • Waste receptacles
    • Stages
    • Food and vendors
    • Access roads for people (if relevant) to enter and leave the place of the temporary entertainment event.
  • Building/engineering certification for any temporary fixtures (for example a stage, tents and the like);
  • Work Health and Safety certification (where required)
  • Liquor licence permit (where required)
  • Safety risk assessment in crowded places – terrorism
  • Fireworks permits; Other permits – animals on beach; beach access/permit
  • Copy of the current insurance policy for public liability. Public liability insurance must be for a minimum value of $20 million; and
  • Risk Management Plan – Click here for a risk management plan template
  • List of all food vendors
  • Traffic management plan (if applicable) Traffic Management Plan assessments Fees and charges are available here
  • Letter drop to residents within 500m radius of event

Depending on the type of event and activities planned, there are a number of related event approvals required by council and Queensland Government that you may need for your event. You will need to obtain approval for these activities, and submit a copy along with your Temporary Entertainment Event Permit.

Please note - No applicant is guaranteed approval of their temporary entertainment event approval. Approval is at the sole discretion of council.

Back button