Council community grants provide life-saving support
Published: 16 Mar 2021
Having a defibrillator at hand can mean the difference between life and death in the event of a cardiac arrest.
Thanks to council’s community grants, four new units will be purchased for locations in our community where they will be vital in first aid situations.
Community Grants Committee chair Cr Laurence Bonaventura said $1500 had been awarded to the Good Shepherd Lodge, $1750 to Wanderers Football Club and $4000 to the Salvation Army to purchase defibrillators.
He said $188,040 in total had been awarded to community groups during this funding round.
“The Good Shepherd Lodge will be able to use these funds to purchase a defibrillator for their facility at 15 McIntyre Street,” Cr Bonaventura said.
“Currently there isn’t a unit in this part of the facility and, considering the age of many of residents and visitors, it’s essential that there is immediate access to this piece of equipment.
“Every minute without defibrillation reduces the chance of survival by 10 per cent during cardiac arrest.”
The Salvation Army will use the funds to install two heart defibrillators at their ministry sites and Wanderers will also install one at their club.
Cr Bonaventura said bowls clubs had also scored big out of this funding round.
“Sarina Bowls Club received $25,000 to refurbish their green and ditch,” he said.
“Mackay RSL Memorial Bowls Club received $18,558 to upgrade their green lighting and mower, and Marian Ladies Bowls Club Inc received $8500 to upgrade the clubhouse kitchen.
“This refurbishment of the Sarina Bowls Club greens is vital for the club’s prosperity and future growth.
“It provides an excellent service to the community and the club has big plans to increase participation by involving schools, younger people, people with disability and people from diverse backgrounds.
“When the project has been completed, it’ll make this a brilliant facility and also make it possible to tender for regional and state events – something that would be of great benefit to the region.”
Also receiving grants were:
- Mackay Family History Society - $1500 to purchase computer equipment
- Playgroup Qld Ltd - Beach Kidz Playgroup Sarina - $814.36 to purchase computer equipment
- Iona West Men's Shed - $1500 for a drum sander
- Bucasia Community Kindergarten - $1365 for four security cameras
- Sarina Kennel Club Inc - $1500 for a double glass display fridge
- C&K Hoey Street Community Kindergarten - $1,362.86 for a crash mat, an aquaplay lock harbour canal system, sensory cushions and various games
- Mackay Redbacks Inline Hockey Inc - $800 for storage racks and storage tubs
- YIRS One Stop Youth Shop Inc - $6000 to purchase of food, toiletries and backpack beds for a proposed afterhours drop-in service, two nights per week
- Calen District State College P&C Association - $6000 contribution towards the “Beach to the Bush” Little Lifesavers Community Program
- Care Kitchen Inc - $4000 to engage a consultant to make strategic improvements
- Australian Street Aid Project Ltd - $5689.89 to purchase safety equipment, tools and consumables for Chances Furniture Mackay
- Kucom Theatre - $3000 to purchase a laptop, data projector and ceiling mount
- Mackay Kennel Club Inc - $5000 for fencing dog rings, purchasing temporary fencing for dog shows, installing lighting and replacing guttering and downpipes on the club house
- Mackay Veteran Golfers Association Inc - $1800 towards an open veteran's competition to be held at the Mackay Golf Course in August
- Eimeo Surf Life Saving Club - $4000 to purchase two standup paddleboards and an adjustable surf ski
- Pioneer Catchment Landcare Inc - $2950 to conduct an internal review
- Magpies Football Club Inc - $3000 to purchase of two 6x3m gazebos
- QCWA Gargett Branch - $10,000 for sanding and re-polishing in the CWA Hall at Gargett
- QCWA - Pioneer Division - $7500 for repairs to the Grasstree Cottage and installation of an air-conditioner at the Slade Point QCWA Hall
- Sarina Demons Junior AFL Club Inc - $10,000 for a four-tier sun-safe grandstand
- Mackay Choral Society Inc - $11,633 to replace carpet in the Ken Martin Choral Centre
- ATSI Community Health Service Mackay Ltd - $8000 to replace the IT servers
- Sarina Junior Rugby League - $7000 for a traveling irrigator and a speaker system
- Mackay Surf Life Saving Club Inc - $9917.50 for air conditioners
- Mackay Surf Life Saving Supporters Club Inc - $14,400 to replace a bi-fold door