Community groups snag Aussie Day funding
Council has approved funding to support a range of events for Australia Day 2020.
Funding ranging from $600 to $1000 will support 11 Australia Day celebrations across the region.
Mayor Greg Williamson said it was great see a wide range of event applications from all parts of the region.
“There’s some ripper Australia Day events lined up from Sarina to the Mackay City Centre, north to Seaforth and west to Kinchant Dam,” Cr Williamson said.
The events will be held at various times throughout the day and at 11 different locations.
“From park barbecues and water slides to beach games and races, there really will be something for young and old,” Cr Williamson said.
One of the grant recipients is Mackay Sailing Club, a group which organises regular sailing events in the Mackay region.
Geoff Osborne, Commodore of Mackay Sailing Club, said it was the first time the club had applied for an Australia Day event grant.
“We are really excited to receive funding on our first attempt and even more so as it’s the first time a sailing event has been included in council’s Australia Day event line-up,” Mr Osborne said.
“Our sailing event will be held at Kinchant Dam and will be free for the public to attend, with all equipment provided,” he said.
To be eligible for funding, the events must be held on the Australia Day public holiday (Sunday, January 26), be free for all to attend and be within the Mackay Regional Council area.
A list of council supported Australia Day 2020 event details are listed below, with more details available on the council website: mackay.qld.gov.au/ausdayevents:
- Habana and Districts Progress Association – Habana Aussie Party, 3pm to 7pm at the Habana Community Precinct, 1091 Mackay-Habana Road, Habana
- Hibiscus Coast Progress and Sports Association – Seaforth Aussie Family Day, 8am – noon at Seaforth Foreshore Park, Seaforth
- Mackay & District Australian South Sea Islander Association – Aussie Family BBQ, 11am to 3pm at Quota Park, Binnington Esplanade
- Mackay Northern Beaches Bowls Club – Aussie Day at Northern Beaches, 11am to 6pm at Mackay Northern Beaches Bowls Club
- Mackay Sailing Club – Sail Away on Australia Day, 10am to 3:30pm at Kinchant Dam
- Mackay Surf Life Saving Club – Aussie Day Beach Party, 9:30am to 4pm at Mackay Surf Lifesaving Club, Mackay Harbour
- Mackay Tennis Association – “Australia Day Open” Fun Day, noon to 6pm at Mackay Tennis Association, 125 Kippen St, South Mackay
- North Mackay Saints AFL – Aussie Family Fun Day, 10am to 3pm at Zeolla Park AFL Grounds, North Mackay
- Sarina Surf Lifesaving Club - Australia Day at Sarina Beach, 7th Annual Australia Day celebration, 2pm to 6pm at Sarina Beach
- Shed Happens Mackay –Pancakes and Play in the park plus games and activities, 10am to 3pm at Mackay Sugar Bowl, Phillip Street, North Mackay
- The Scout Association of Australia Qld Branch (Banksia Scout Group) - Australia Day Scouts Open Day, 10am to 1pm at Jaycee Park, Corner Fernleigh Avenue and Bedford Road, Andergrove