Pedal powered public offered a free breakfast
Published: 07 Oct 2021
Council is celebrating cycling in the Mackay region by shouting riders to a free breakfast on Wednesday, October 20.
Seven different locations, across the region, will be offering free breakfast options.
Plus, if you register before 5pm, Friday, October 15, council will shout you a free Ride Mackay branded cycling pack, including a bag, bottle and limited-edition towel.
The Ride2Work initiative is part of the exciting Try the 5 get-active campaign and is designed to help change our reliance on cars to commute.
Mackay Regional Council’s Sport and Recreation Advisory Committee Chairperson Cr Michelle Green said two thirds of Australians didn’t get enough exercise to maintain their health.
“At the same time, traffic is building at an alarming rate as our population expands, so we have to do everything we can to get residents to consider active transport,” Cr Green said.
“We really want to get the message out that riding isn’t just for mamils (middle-aged men in lycra), it has a host of benefits for everyone,” she said.
“For example, not only is biking to work often faster than driving, especially during peak hours; it also saves you money, reduces emissions and lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, obesity and depression.
“Add a free breakfast to that list and there’s plenty of reasons to get on your bike and leave your car keys hanging at home on October 20.”
Residents are encouraged to head to council's website to register for the breakfast and select which venue they will be attending.
Everyone who preregisters will also automatically go in the draw for the Try the 5 competition, featuring $2000 in prizes.
Breakfast locations on October 20 include:
- 5.30am to 9am - Memorial Swim Centre, City Centre - muffin, yoghurt and orange juice
- 5.30am to 9am - Pioneer Pool, North Mackay - muffin, yoghurt and orange juice
- 5.30am to 9am - Mackay ARC, Ooralea – muffin and yoghurt or bacon and egg muffin, coffee or juice
- 5.30am to 9am - Vintage Kiss Marian - breakfast and beverage
- 5.30am to 9am - Mother’s Pantry, Paget – breakfast wrap and beverage
- 6am to 9am - Third Ground Café, Sarina – breakfast wrap and small beverage
- 7am to 9am – Casu Jacks, Mackay Harbour - bacon, egg and cheese muffin or wrap and coffee, or a sweet muffin and coffee
Ride-ins are welcome on the day; however, preference will be given to those who have preregistered. There will also be a QR code available at each venue to allow unregistered riders to enter the Try the 5 competition.