Keeping a horse
To keep a horse a minimum of 4000m2 is required to keep the horse. If your enquiry is in relation to a stable permit application please contact council’s Planning and Development department on 1300 MACKAY (622 529) for further information.
When keeping horses you must ensure:
- all feed is to be stored in a vermin proof manner
- the keeping of a horse must not cause a noise, odour or fly nuisance
- the keeper must take all reasonable measures to effectively isolate the grazing behaviour of the horse from nearby properties (measures may include the construction of a fence).
Non-standard permits apply when you are:
- racing or trotting stables
- breeding horses for sale
- boarding horses for a fee or rewards.
Selling of horses
A person wishing to sell a horse must register the animal for sale or alternately keep a register of all horses sold or otherwise disposed.
Register must include:
- name and address of the new owner
- full description of each horse sold or otherwise disposed
- date of sale or disposal of each horse.
Please contact council on 1300 MACKAY (622 529) or email@example.com for further details.
- Stable approval application form (PDF 200KB)
- Horses (PDF 234KB)