History of our libraries

1874 – 1980: School of Arts Library

The reading room of the first School of Arts library opened on November 16, 1874. The reading room was housed in the Mackay City Council Chambers, then located in Sydney Street.

In October 1879 construction commenced on a new School of Arts building, which was also located in Wood Street.  Construction of the new building was completed in that same year, and the School of Arts opened on New Year's Day, 1880.

The School of Arts, later, occupied premises on the corner of Gregory and Wood Streets from 1912.  The final meeting of the Mackay School of Arts was held on May 6, 1980.

1980: Mackay City Library

Mackay City Library, located in Gordon Street, opened its doors to customers on 17 March, 1980.  The official opening ceremony by his worship the Mayor of Mackay, Alderman Sir Albert F. Abbott took place some months later, on Saturday 28th June 1980.

1994: Mackay City Council Library Service

In April 1994, a new City of Mackay Council was formed, from the merger of Mackay City and Pioneer Council, resulting in the subsequent amalgamation of the Mackay City and Pioneer Shire Council, Library Services.

Until amalgamation, Pioneer Shire library services consisted of three branches - Walkerston Library, North Mackay Library and a Mobile Library Service.

The first branch of the Pioneer Shire Library Service opened in October 1977 in Dutton Street, Walkerston.  The Walkerston Library later relocated to the opposite side of Dutton Street, where it remains in operation today, offering a wide range of library and council related services and facilities.  In 1978, the Pioneer Shire Council opened another library branch in North Mackay.  The library was situated in a small office block which later extended into several more offices in the same block.  The Pioneer Shire Library officially closed its doors in 2000.  The Mobile Library Service commenced in 1982.

Gordon White Library opened to the public in March 2000.  This award winning building was dedicated to former Mackay City Council Mayor and Pioneer Shire Chairman, Gordon White.

2008: Mackay Regional Council Libraries

In March 2008, Mackay City, Mirani and Sarina Shire Councils amalgamated to form the new Mackay Regional Council.  Mackay Regional Council Libraries now have branches at Mackay City, Mount Pleasant (Gordon White Library), Walkerston, Sarina, Mirani, and a Mobile Library. Each branch offers a wide range of services, resources and activities for people of all ages and interests.

Libraries opening dates

Library branchOpening date
Mirani Library November 28, 1970
Walkerston Library October 24, 1977
Mackay City Library June 28, 1980
Mobile Library November 29, 1982
Sarina Library September 29, 1984
Gordon White Library March 16, 2000
Dudley Denny City LibraryDecember 17, 2016