Friends of the Mackay libraries are invaluable to Mackay Regional Council’s Library Services providing assistance with many facets of the day-to-day operations of the region’s local libraries. Encouraging community awareness by representing the library in your community, our friends group are a diverse collection of volunteers who are strong advocates for our library.
The volunteer group formed in 1981. The group currently has around 160 members and are always looking for more help. Friends are welcome to volunteer at any of the branches.
The Friends are divided into a number of groups according to the support they provide such as:
Five library branches and one Mobile Library generate thousands of item returns daily. This includes, books, DVDs, CDS, audio books, magazines and more from areas including Adult, Junior, Young Adult areas.
To shelve resources you must have:
- the ability to navigate a trolley;
- the ability to shelve lower shelf items;
- the ability to shelve higher shelf items;
- good alpha-numeric skills (know your alphabet and number orders really well!);
- awareness of collection locations (orientations of the collections will be included in the site specific inductions).
Home library service deliveries
The home library service is available to residents who are unable to visit the library and do not have family or friends who can assist them with either transport or selection and collection of library material.
Library staff select the material which is delivered to the home library service client by Friends.
To assist with home library deliveries you must have:
- good interpersonal skills;
- a registered vehicle;
- third party insurance;
- a current, appropriate driver's license;
- undertake a police criminal history check.
You must agree to advise the library if:
- you are involved in a motor vehicle accident whilst carrying out library duties;
- you are convicted of a traffic offence that results in license suspension.
Local and non-local authors regularly contact Mackay Regional Council Libraries seeking a venue and support to deliver free author talks. The FOML provide a wonderful service to library clients by assisting the author set up and deliver author talks for our community. The library service assists with promotional material and providing tea, coffee, sugar, milk and biscuits.
To assist with author talks you must have:
- good communication skills;
- good planning and organising skills;
- the ability to assist with the set up and pack up of the event including moving furniture (not essential).
- Meet like-minded people and enhance your social life
- Keep up-to-date with library happenings
- Participate in activities that make a difference to the library and the local community
- Quarterly meetings
- Annual general meetings
- Friends of Mackay Libraries Christmas Party
- Author talks
How do I become a Friend of Mackay Libraries?