I have witnessed a DFV incident
I have witnessed a domestic and family violence incident:
- If it is happening now
- If a life is threatened
- If the event is time critical
Is there no immediate danger?
- Call 131 444 to report a non-urgent police matter
You can also make a non-urgent police report of DFV by submitting an online form.
Assess the situation:
- Do you feel safe to step in now or later?
- Is there a risk of escalation?
Bystander intervention is NOT putting yourself or others in danger or in the way of potential harm.
Possible constructive action:
- Say something to the person using violence to diffuse the situation
- Show the person using violence that you are there/watching
- Say something appropriate (about what you are observing) to the people beside you (loud enough to be heard)