Unwanted noise can negatively affect a person's health and well being. Not only can it cause hearing loss, but it may affect people through annoyance, sleep interference, stress, loss of productivity and a general reduction in the quality of life.
The actual loudness, including the frequency, tone and vibrations of a sound may only be one component of the effect on people. Other considerations for time and place, duration, source of the sound and whether the listener has any control over it, should be made.
The most common noise nuisances are:
- Barking dog
- Pool pumps and spas
- Regulated devices around the home such as lawn mowers
For more information, check council's fact sheets on:
- General Noise (PDF 1.1mb)
- Pool Pumps and Spas (PDF 1.8mb)
- Regulated Devices (PDF 83 kb)
- Air Conditioning (PDF 1.0mb)
- Building Noise (PDF 368.2 kb)
- Noisy birds (PDF 1 mb)
- Barking dogs (PDF 1 mb)
Music or party noise
Music and/or party noise is regulated by the local police and should be contacted in either instance.