Administrative action complaints

Council has an Administrative Action Complaints Policy to ensure that all complaints are dealt with in a fair and efficient manner.

Types of complaints

Customer service request

Any initial concerns you have, or a request for service, should be managed in the first instance by lodging a customer request. These may include (for example) matters like:

  • Animal management concerns (i.e. barking dogs)
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Bins - Damaged wheelie bins
  • Dogs straying
  • Overgrown allotments
  • Parking
  • Potholes
  • Public health concerns
  • Signage

A customer request can be lodged by contacting council by:

Administrative action complaint

Council values feedback from our customers to improve our service delivery.

If you are not happy with something that council has done or a decision of council, which you have already discussed with the relevant council program and remain dissatisfied, you can make an administrative action complaint. The types of complaints dealt with by this process include:

  • A complaint about a council decision or act
  • A failure to make a decision or do an act, including failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision
  • An escalation of a complaint about a council service or other administrative action
  • A complaint about a breach of privacy
  • Competitive neutrality complaints (see s48 of the Act)
  • Human rights/discrimination complaints
  • Complaints about the breach of privacy
  • Complaints about the conduct of a council staff
  • Complaints relating to corrupt conduct
  • A review of an appeal process (i.e. penalty infringement notices)
  • Development matters
  • Environmental nuisance complaints
  • A Public Interest Disclosure
  • Complaints not otherwise listed (‘General complaints’).

If you would like to make an administrative action complaint, please put your complaint in writing using one of the following methods:

  • Online by making a general request and choosing the request type "Lodge AAC".
  • Email to
  • By post addressed to the CEO, PO Box 41, Mackay QLD 4740;
  • Over the counter at a customer service centre;
  • By Telephone: 1300 MACKAY (1300 622 529).

Council will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three business days.

How to lodge a Human Rights complaint?

If you wish to make a complaint regarding council’s obligations in relation to your human rights, you should contact council directly by emailing

Council will endeavour to respond to and resolve your complaint within 45 business days. Should you feel that council has not adequately responded to your complaint you may then make a complaint to the Human Rights Commissioner. The Queensland Human Rights Commission website provides more information about human rights.

What to include in your complaint?

Please provide the following information to assist us with the investigation of your complaint:

  • As much detail as possible about the matter
  • List any Mackay Regional Council staff, departments, other agencies or authorities you have already reported this matter to
  • Your contact details - i.e. your name and at least one method of contact (phone, email, address)
  • An outline of the outcome you are seeking
  • Enclose any supporting information such as photos, correspondence, contact details of anyone else who can support your complaint
  • Whether you require an outcome communicated to you
  • The complaint must be lodged within 12 months the decision or lack of action; or three months from the administrative action review decision date.

Anonymous complaints will be accepted, but please note that a response cannot be provided.  Providing an anonymous complaint may restrict our ability to resolve the matter.

Your complaint will be managed in accordance with council's Administrative Action Complaint Policy.

Useful tips when lodging your complaint

  • Be clear and concise by telling us how you want the issue resolved. Think about what action you believe council should take to resolve your issue. Do you want an apology, a different decision or a change in the way things are done?
  • It your matter is complex, it may more effective if you email council providing all copies of your supporting documentation.
  • Please stick to the main facts.  Please do not use any assumptions or innuendo and provide only as much detail as is needed for council to understand and resolve your issue.
  • Ensure that your request is reasonable and realistic. Please keep in mind that Council must act in the interest of the general community and entire local government area. Council does not have jurisdiction to investigate complaints that may be as a result of neighbourhood disputes.
  • Council acknowledges that these matters can be stressful and frustrating.  Please be respectful of staff who are trying to address your complaint. Unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerable.

How long will it take to resolve my complaint?

Council has 30 business days from the date of receipt to complete the investigation of your complaint and provide a response.

If the complaint is complex then council has 45 business days from the date of receipt of the complaint.

Council will contact if more time is required.

What can I do if I'm not happy about the response given to my administrative action complaint?

If you are unhappy with council's decision, you can request an internal review.

To request an internal review, you should put it in writing using one of the following methods:

  • Online by making a general request and choosing the request type "Lodge AAC".
  • Email to
  • By post addressed to the CEO, PO Box 41, Mackay QLD 4740;
  • Over the counter at a customer service centre;
  • By Telephone: 1300 MACKAY (622 529).

If you are still not happy with the decision from an internal review, you may refer your complaint to the Queensland Ombudsman's Office. Their contact number is (07) 3005 7000.

Further information


Mackay Regional Council will endeavour to keep your information use any personal information collected for the purpose of investigating your complaint and to remain in contact with you. Council is authorised to collect this information under the Local Government Act 2009 and other local government legislation. Your personal information is dealt with in accordance with council's Information Privacy Policy.

Unless you specify otherwise, we will proceed on the basis that you consent to disclosure of necessary and relevant personal information to officers and other parties to assist council to assess and resolve the complaint. Your personal information will not otherwise be disclosed unless you consent, or the disclosure is required or authorised by law.

For more information on the disclosure of personal information, please refer to our privacy statement page