Frequently asked questions

The links listed below answer frequently asked questions about making a complaint to council.

What is not an administrative action complaint?

Administrative action complaints do not include:

  • Requests for information
  • Requests for service
  • Suggestions
  • Enquiries
  • Petitions
  • Comments submitted during formal consultation or negotiation processes
  • Councillor conduct
  • Technology faults e.g. library IT services
  • Facility maintenance

How do I make a complaint?

There are a number of ways you can lodge a complaint. A complaint can be made:

Online by making a general request and with the request type "Lodge AAC".

By email

In person
At any of Mackay Regional Council's client service centres

By phone
1300 622 529

By mail
The Chief Executive Officer
Mackay Regional Council
PO Box 41
Mackay Qld 4740

Are there any costs associated with lodging a complaint?

No, there are no fees or charges to lodge a complaint.

What information will I need to provide?

You will need to provide the following details when you lodge a complaint:

  • The nature of the complaint in as much detail as possible.
  • Details of any loss or detriment you have suffered.
  • If the incident has been reported to any other agency or authority.
  • The remedy you are seeking.
  • Any supporting information and documentation, including names and contact details of anyone else who is able to support the complaint.
  • Your contact details*

* You may remain anonymous but please be aware that council may need to contact you for further details to properly investigate the complaint. Council may refuse to investigate an anonymous complaint if insufficient information is provided.

Do I have to put my complaint in writing?

No, you can lodge your complaint in writing or verbally.  If you have a difficult or more serious complaint, we encourage you to lodge it in writing with all details set out.  This can be done either by using the online complaint form, letter or email.

What happens next?

Council aims to resolve complaints as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Your complaint will be recorded and you will be provided with a complaints reference number.  This will occur within five working days of receipt of a complaint.

As the circumstances vary considerably between complaints, it is difficult to guarantee a set timeframe.  The length of time taken will depend on how complex the matter is, however you will be kept informed of the progress of the investigation.

Will my identity remain confidential?

Yes.  All complaints will be treated confidentially to the fullest extent possible under the law.

Can I lodge a complaint on behalf of someone else?

Yes, but if you lodge a complaint on behalf of an affected person, we will respond directly to that person, not to you as the person acting. If you provide a letter of authority confirming that you are acting on behalf of the affected person, we will respond to you instead.

What if I change my mind?

If you change your mind and wish to withdraw a complaint, you may do so at any time.  If the original complaint was made in writing, the withdrawal should also be in writing.

If I make a complaint, can council refuse to investigate?

Yes, council can refuse to investigate a complaint if:

  • The complaint is considered to be trivial, frivolous or vexatious, lacks substance or credibility
  • The complainant does not have sufficient direct interest in the administrative action the subject of the complaint; or
  • It is made using rude, aggressive, abusive or threatening language, or where the complainant is physically harassing or stalking a council officer(s).
  • The complainant is pursuing the complaint through an alternative review process, or it has already been reviewed through an alternate review process.

I need assistance to make a complaint

To contact council in your own language through the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) telephone 13 14 50 and ask them to contact Mackay Regional Council on 1300 622 529.

If you need assistance because of a hearing or speech impairment please contact the National Relay Service on 133 677.

  • For Teletypewriter (TTY) users: phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 622 529
  • For Speak and Listen users: phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 622 529
  • For Internet relay users: connect to the NRS ( and then ask for 1300 622 529